Project Re-name

Sep 21, 2011 at 5:56 AM

Unsure of how long this discussion may be, so I'm starting a new thread. After brainstorming a while, I've realized that the government must pay some individuals thousands and thousands of dollars to come up with descriptive acronyms/codenames/etc. for projects.

After screwing around with a bunch of different combinations with "Hook", "Mouse", "Keyboard", "C#", "Managed", etc. I realized that so many projects names have absolutely no relationship to their ability or function. Lets take a look at a few browsers for instance. Chromium, FireFox, Midori, Internet Explorer, Safari, Konqueror, Opera, etc. Of these browsers, are any of these application (or project) names related to internet searching? Only Internet Explorer, and the only other that makes any other reference to searching is Safari. So it came to me that perhaps this project did not have to have a name directly correlated to it's function.

I am not suggesting to use a completely random name, like Zapdos (legendary bird Pokemon), but perhaps a name related to the function of the mouse and keyboard. Perhaps something like: Click-ASDF Alert! or simply Click-ASDF.

Unfortunately, this is much harder than originally anticipated. Maybe if I get good at it, I can make lots of money thinking up names and fitting acronyms for government projects!

Coordinator
Sep 21, 2011 at 8:45 AM

Proposal for project name: Global and Application wide Mouse and Keyboard Hooks .NET Libary in C#

Proposals for root namespace and assembly names:

UserActiovityMonitor
MouseKeyActivityMonitor
GlobalAppMouseKeyMonitor
ClickAsdf
ClickQwerty
EasyHooks
HooksNet
EasyHooks

Please vote.
I think we can already release V3 Beta after we have a name. 

Sep 21, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Slight modifications to your project name and root namespace.

Project Name: Mouse and Keyboard Hooks .NET
Root namespace: MouseKeyboardActivityMonitor

I think that with the project name, it is not necessary to explicitly say "Global and Application"... it can be inferred. And with the root namespace, simply having "MouseKeyActi...." is insufficient, because mice do not have keys, they have buttons and it removes any ambiguity as to what is being monitored.

I agree that after a name is chosen, V3 can be made beta. At that time, I also strongly recommend the license change. For the BSD license, the Owner and Organization would both be the project name.

Coordinator
Sep 21, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Agree. Except I would leave keywords "global" and "application" in project name, thus it helps people to find us from search engines.  

Sep 21, 2011 at 9:21 PM

Wouldn't a search still yield a result if Global and Application are in the project description?

If not: Global and Application Mouse and Keyboard Hooks .Net is fine with me.